Hunston is a small Suffolk hamlet and civil parish set in a conservation area of Mid-Suffolk, nearly 9 miles east of the centre of Bury St Edmunds. It is set in flattish farmland which is mostly arable. Hunston (called Hunterstuna in 1096) has a name that goes back a thousand years to the sound of the chase and galloping horses. 'Huns' is a much abused, much contracted version of the original hunteres - ie hunter. 'Ton' means settlement and so it was from here that our ancestors went out into the marshes and woods in search of rabbit, deer, foxes, beavers, bears, wolves and boar.